flaxie maxie bar
This low-glycemic version of my Flax Max Bars was created by one of my clients who’s been experimenting with her Fat, Fiber & Protein snacks to maintain her blood sugar (. . . to balance her hormones), for some time. Thanks EI!
1 1/2 cups almonds (soaked and toasted in the oven is ideal)
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup cacao butter, coconut oil or a mixture of the two (note: cacao butter will stay harder longer out of the fridge)
1/2 cup crunchy almond butter
1/2 cup goji berries
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup fresh ground flax
a little vanilla extract
a couple pinches of salt
handful of cacao nibs
6 drops liquid stevia (add the stevia, mix and taste to bring it to your liking)
1. Pulse nuts, ground flaxseeds, coconut, nut butter and salt in a food processor until coarsely ground.
2. Gently melt the butter and/or oil by placing the glass jar into warm water to soften enough to scoop or pour and measure.
3. Add coconut oil to food processor along with remaining ingredients.
4. Pulse to create a coarse and pasty mixture.
5. Press mixture into an 8 x 8 glass baking dish
7. Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour, until mixture hardens. Cut into bars and store in refrigerator.
Note from chef: I have used cashews, sunflower seeds, sunflower seed butter. All are yummy. I like using the cacao butter because of the flavor and it doesn’t melt when traveling.